Does the Word Church Bring to Mind...
- An elaborate, cathedral-like structure or maybe a simple country building?
- Good food?
- Recreational opportunities?
- Scouts, child care, education?
- Political protests?
If these are things you associate with the word “church,” we urge you to consider the following facts…
1) In the Bible “church” always refers to people and is never used of a physical structure.
- A church could hear and speak. Matthew 18:17
- A church could fear. Acts 5:11
- A church could pray. Acts 12:5
- A church could gather in one place. 1 Corinthians 14:23
2) The New Testament teaches that meals eaten to satisfy physical hunger were to be separated from the church assemblies.
“Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home.” Read 1 Corinthians 11:17-34, and give special attention to vv. 22, 34.
3) While the New Testament has much to say about the church, no mention is made of churches being involved in recreation, secular education, political protest, and the like.
“If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book.” Revelation 22:18, 19; also see 2 Timothy 3:16, 17.
4) The word “church” should bring to mind sinners saved by the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ.
“The church of God which He purchased with His own blood.” Acts 20:28
In light of these scriptural facts, Christians who meet regularly at 22776 Pepper Road in Athens, AL are seeking to be…
1) A church belonging only to God and His Son Jesus Christ without any denominational ties.
Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 1:2
2) A church following the Bible without any human creed.
Revelation 22:18, 19; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Galatians 1:8
3) A church emphasizing the gospel of Jesus Christ and its power to save.
Romans 1:16; 2 Thessalonians 1:8
4) A church that, without pride or arrogance, has the courage and conviction to question those who have made changes in God’s ways.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-12; 1 Timothy 4:1-5
We sincerely hope that the information contained in this brief article will generate a deeper interest in spiritual things and if you are interested in our non-denominational pursuit of truth and salvation, we would urge you to visit any of our assemblies or contact us with your questions or concerns.